About Me

My photo
I was commissioned as a Church Army Officer in 2000, and spent 9 years working in parishes, mainly with children and families. In 2009, I began ordination training at Ripon College Cuddesdon. I married Clare in July 2000, and our first child, Nathan, arrived on September 22nd 2010.

Thursday 3 September 2009

Morning Prayer

I knew before coming to Cuddesdon that the Daily Offices (both Morning and Evening Prayer) play an important part in the life of the college.

But it has been a pleasant surprise to find that a number of ordinands have kept Morning Prayer going through the holiday period. It is held at 9am (rather than the 7.30am it will be when term starts), and is in the parish church, rather than the college chapel.

I have been going every morning since finding out about it, and have also led it a couple of times. We use the Common Worship form of Morning Prayer, which, of course, is what is used by the staff team at St. Mark's Biggin Hill. So I am very familiar with it!

But it has been a real blessing to me, both in meeting with God during this "waiting time" (until term starts), and in feeling like I am becoming part of the college community. There's something about corporate prayer - especially with fellow ordinands - that is missing in my own personal quiet times. So praise God for this opportunity to pray regularly with others!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris & Clare
    Glad things are going good for you. I will enjoy reading your blog.
    How is it going with Ray being there? Is it very strange? Anyone else there you know?
    I expect you have heard about Neil Thomson's wife (Rosemary) still undergoing treatment. Otherwise, all seems ok. Oh yes, Peter Grieve is recovering from a stroke.

    Well bye for now and my prayers with you both for the coming term.

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gill,

    It's kind of nice having Ray here as well, if a little weird! (For those who don't know, Ray is another CA bod who is beginning training now as well - I know him from 12 years ago, when he was my supervisor on my 1st placement in CA training!)

    As for others, I know the husband of one of the ordinands - we were in the same Youth Group in Hampton 20 years ago! And one of the 2nd years was at Southampton University at the same time as me - we never actually met, but we know some of the same people. Small world!

    ReplyDelete